Insert for an old house

d56auctionDecember 21, 2010

We're buying a 100 year old house with an old fireplace. It has a damper, but I'm interested to know if there are any inserts available that do a decent job of keeping the old house look and while adding a bit of efficiency. Or, should we simply add glass doors? Any ideas?

There is a wood source on the property, but the original fireplace also is plumbed for gas.



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The most energy efficient and safe option is a direct vent gas insert. If you are not familiar with them, do a search on this forum to find out about them. Direct vent units come in a variety of styles. We got one by Jotul, a Norwegian company. It was manufactured in Norway, but assembled in Maine. It is black cast iron which we think fits in nicely with a variety of decors. But that's a matter of personal taste.

If, after finding out about direct vent in this forum, you decide to pursue this option, do a google search for direct vent. It will turn up websites of many manufacturers, Jotul included. A word of caution: installing a direct vent system is a bit complicated, and can take a whole day. So make sure you hire an installer who is experienced at it. Finding such a person may take some looking around and asking people for recommendations.

    Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 12:49AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
Sponsored Products
Urania Plain Pillow Tan
$52.95 | Bellacor
Serena & Lily Color Frame Duvet Cover
Serena & Lily
Modern Indoor/Outdoor ALMA Rugs Glitter White Silver 3 ft. 3 in. x Your Choice
$6.57 | Home Depot
Geometric Decorative Pillow, Celosia Orange
$19.99 | zulily
Liberty Furniture Carrington Dresser & Mirror in Black Finish
Beyond Stores
Chooty and Co. Towers Ash Slub 17 x 17 in. Decorative Throw Pillow - Set of 2 .
$79.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™