bullnose corners and shoe molding

newtomb1April 17, 2013

We had new oak floors and white baseboards installed for our remodel. there are gaps between the floor and the baseboards, some areas are 1/8 inch. we had decided to install shoe molding to cover them but our contractor claims that shoe molding can't be installed on bullnose corners. Is that correct? It seems like it would look odd to not have shoe molding around the corners.

Other option would be to scribe the baseboards but the contractor says they may look wavy afterwards. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jfcwood

What is a bullnose corner? If it's where the base is rounded at the corners, I've seen shoemold installed on those. I've seen jobs with pre-made inside and outside corners on the shoemold. It wouldn't be too hard to make corners or you could have a millwork make them.
You might be able to wrap flexible shoemold around the corners and miter the ends to meet the wood shoemold on the longer runs. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R98WTO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39EAJK4Y34QD0
I assume you're referring to gaps UNDER the base, not next to it. Scribing the base should fix these, especially if you only have 1/8" gaps. Scribing shouldn't make the base look wavy if done correctly.
It seems like your contractor is discouraging you from either method to remedy this problem. What does he suggest?

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 5:21PM
newtomb1

my contractor doesn't think it looks that bad. I disagree and don't want bugs and dirt collecting under there.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 6:46PM
gregmills_gw

Even if you did close that gap it wont keep bugs or dirt from getting back in the walls.

Now closing the gap makes for a better look. And i agree with you that it looks tacky. Especially if its brand new. A good finish carpetner shouldnt even flinch when told to scribe base to a floor. Its almost second nature to them.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:27PM
newtomb1

gregmills - our GC is the one installing the baseboards. He does do some carpentry but maybe he doesn't have enough experience with this? Should I try to hire someone else to do this?

So we should we scribe vs shoe molding?

jfcwood - our walls are rounded so yes that's what I mean by bullnose corner.

thanks so much for the responses!

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:11PM
newtomb1

my contractor doesn't think it looks that bad. I disagree and don't want bugs and dirt collecting under there.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 1:31AM
brickeyee

There are pieces of molding made to match bullnose corners, or you can use multiple miters.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
Flooring for road noise - Carpet or LVT
Hi Everyone, We are looking into replacing our entire...
houston70sranch
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™