Help for first time builder - Home Loan

mscajunpieSeptember 30, 2008

We are building a $300,000 house on our property. We want to put down 100K. Our mortage people suggested we borrow 200K but to use our money first so that we will not have to pay interest. Our builder says that we can borrow the 300K and keep our money till the end and then we could buy points for our interest rate.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this and can offer information.

Also, what happens to the extra money if we borrow 300K and we build the house for 200 or 250K? Meaning do we give it back to the mortgage company or do we put it toward our mortgage?

Thanks,

Becky

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

When I built, I was approved for a construction loan, once the bank saw the plans and the estimate the builder had given me.

I told them what my down payment was. Once construction began 'my' money was used first, and then 'draws' were made from the amount that was borrowed. Typically there was to have been 3 draws from the amount I was allowed to borrow. I then put that (draw) $$ into an account, and paid for different things house related. Once the house was complete, and had passed inspection, and everyone was paid, the loan was rewritten to a mortgage. It was not written for the full amount of the construction loan approval amount, as it was not needed or necessary.

Also, what happens to the extra money if we borrow 300K and we build the house for 200 or 250K? Meaning do we give it back to the mortgage company or do we put it toward our mortgage?
Did you really mean to say borrow 300K
If the house cost 300K to build and you built for $250K, and put in 100K, then you would only have the mortgage written for $150.

Sue

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Buying a new house financial questions?
This seems silly, but I don't have anyone else to talk...
Butternut
Experience as a 1-car couple?
We moved into a new home (my first real house with...
ayimera
Just because you pay your bills on time.....
doesn't guarantee you have good credit The "Paying...
myfask
Spending Breakdown
My wife and I have tracked our spending over the last...
rjexit5
Refinance with Bank of America taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R
We started the process for our refinance April 25th...
wickedgrace
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™