Bis vs. Quadrafire

drdugitDecember 29, 2006

Does anybody have any first-hand experience with the Bis Tradition Fireplace? I had originally been set to install a Quadrafire 7100fp, but the dealer (who also carries Quadrafire) is trying to steer me towards the Bis. I read the mega-thread on the 7100, so I feel like I'm familiar with its shortcomings.

The dealer has the Bis installed in his house and said he ripped out the Quadrafire to put the Bis in. He said he's had many service calls on the Quadrafire, but none with the Bis.

One thing that worries me, is the advertised burn times for the two fireplaces. The Quadrafire has a 16 hour burn time compared to 8 for the Bis. Obviously I don't think the Quadrafire would burn for 16 hours, but if the Bis burns for less than 8, then it would be very inconvenient.

I would basically just like somebody who's not "selling" the product to me to give an honest opinion on the pros and cons of each.

Thank you for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimeryl

I have never heard of the Bis, but we have the Quadrafire and love it. We have had it installed for about a year and a half, no service issues other than a knob that broke and was replaced immediately. The person who sold us our fireplace was a friend of a friend and she very highly recommended this over other options, so we trusted her knowledge and experience and have not been disappointed.
Kim

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 5:06PM
ac_b10

I have the BIS tradition CE. It is a smaller version. Works great and gives off tons of heat.

I can load it up at night about 10:30pm (3 good sized logs) lower the air damper and at 7:00am I still have a good set of hot coals going...throw another set of logs on and I'm good to go.

Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 1:28PM
mountainstoveguy

both are fantastic. Pick your poison.
I have had no problems with the 7100, (from a dealer standpoint)
I dont sell BIS, but there a great manufacture.
I burn a 7100 in the showroom, and it will blow you out if your space isnt large enough.
I get 12-13 hour burn times with a packed firebox and good air control on the 7100. I get about 8 hours with it full open.

Bookmark   January 4, 2007 at 1:21AM
see58911_live_com

I have a Qudrafire 7100. Bought it Oct. 2010. I'm using mine this winter. The burn time for 16 hrs is when you have dampered all the way down (less then 10 btu.). When i have mine going, it's on the highest setting. My wood will last 3 hrs. top. I don't now how it is a effiecient fireplace. If anyone is getting 8 hrs. burn time on the wood, they are counting the hot coals as they run out of burn time. Maybe i have bugs to work out yet, i don't think so. Good luck everyone. Mike

Bookmark   January 2, 2011 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Sponsored Products
Avanity MILANO-VS30 Milano 30-in. Single Bathroom Vanity with Optional Mirror Mu
$941.25 | Hayneedle
KRAUS Kitchen All-in-One Undermount Stainless Steel 23x21x14 in. 0-Hole Single
Home Depot
KRAUS Kitchen All-in-One Undermount Stainless Steel 32-3/4x19x10 in. 0-Hole
Home Depot
Avanity MODERO-VS30-CG Modero 30-in. Single Bathroom Vanity - MODERO-VS30-CG-A
Hayneedle
Avanity KELLY-VS24-GB Kelly 24-in. Single Bathroom Vanity - KELLY-VS24-GB-A
$712.50 | Hayneedle
K'NEX Angry Birds Bubbles vs. Medium Minion Pig Starter Building Set - 72477
$25.99 | Hayneedle
Feiss Bathroom Lighting Tonic 2-Light Brushed Steel Vanity Light VS51002-BS