Urgent Help !

das_maxJuly 22, 2011

Hello guys.

I will be going to study to another country on the next couple of weeks, and so, I am very interested in selling all of my furniture. However, I don't have the slightest idea about the amount of money I could get for it.

I don't know much about the pieces I would like to sell, as they were inherited from my grandparents to my mother, and from my mother to me.

Here are the pictures:

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n605/Dylan_Steen/Furniture/

Thanks in advance,

Natascha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

I regularly review the furniture at an online auction for a local estate auction service.

Most of the furniture there seems to go for 10%-20% of new cost. It's rare for a piece (or set) to go above about $400. There are exceptions for very good condition antiques or pieces with collectible labels (e.g., original Stickley). Pieces in lesser condition or just not that good to begin with go for a few dollars sometimes.

It's sort of a shame. Some of it is just old furniture much of it "mid 20th century"(as you would expect from an estate. But a lot of it is very good condition and serviceable. It's also often much better constructed than stuff coming from offshore today. Even putting money into refinishing or reupholstering, as long as you like the style, I think it would be a good deal for someone.

When we auctioned off my parents' estate furniture, I found the same to be true. A few pieces got bid up, but most of it went for cheap.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Lee Industries Sofa--worst ever furniture
I can use everyone's assistance in helping me solve...
sf_treat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™