Candles in a fireplace

aliceinmdDecember 11, 2008

If you put candles in a fireplace and want to light them, do you have to open the flue? Does the number of candles make a difference? ... I've seen pictures of candles burning in a fireplace, and they're beautiful, but the practical questions always surface. I'd appreciate any insight someone might have, especially from those who have done this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SeattlePioneer

Candles can produce soot stained walls in houses --- often quite a mystery to people who use them but don't realize the possibility of them causing damage.

Using candles in a fireplace with the damper closed might start causing soot stains above the fireplace, or the damper might be leaky enough to vent out the soot. Some candles don't produce much soot.

Take your pick among these risks and options.

Bookmark   December 11, 2008 at 8:14PM
christopherh

And the candles don't put out much heat either. You can't cuddle up to a candle on a snowy winter night as opposed to a real fire in the fireplace.

Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 7:12AM
mikeyvon

while some candles do produce soot, the better ones tend not to produce as much or none at all. My wife absolutely loves candles. Soy candles are some of the best. We burn wood for heat, so candles on our woodstove would not last long.

Soot stained walls are also not the end of the world as a coat or two of paint (sometimes primer needed) can take care of even the nastiest walls. I know as I have help flip a few house where chain smokers lived.

Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™