Getting alot of smoke in house from FP....

wynnsmanDecember 28, 2009

Hello I have a new constructed home and every time I build a fire in my prefab wood fp I get alot of smoke in the home....I have the flue wide open and also a side vent open. It makes no difference if windy, windows open or closed.....Any suggestions are welcome,,,,thanks in advance.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjk2149

We have a insert, it was just boiling the smoke out when we opened the door. We have to pull the damper full out, open the door just a crack and wait a few seconds before we can open to load. The house seems like it is always full of smoke,smells so bad! I read something on an older post about a crimped liner causing this issue. Something about when a boot is added. This maybe part of my issue not sure. But this is an insert. Talk to the company who built it they may have some ideas.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 9:20PM
wynnsman

Thanks ill give the builder a call...

Bookmark   December 29, 2009 at 7:06AM
drafted72

Before starting a fire, take a hand held torch and place it inside near the top of your fireplace near the flute. If the flame is going up, then you know the smoke will raise. If it is coming back into your house you're going to get smoke.
I do this because in my house if the wind is blowing out of the south, I get down draft back into my house and if I try to start a fire, my house will fill up with smoke. I have heard that changing the chinney cap may help reduce the downdraft problems from wind sometimes. The problem has a lot to do with your roof design and were the fireplace chinney is. You just have to keep checking it with the torch on different wind directions.

Bookmark   January 1, 2010 at 1:32AM
quandary

I have noticed that I get smoke in the room when my furnace kicks on. There is a return in the ceiling at the back of the den where the fireplace is located, and it apparently pulls very effectively. This is probably not causing your problem, but I lived here for several years before I made the connection.

Bookmark   January 5, 2010 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Sponsored Products
O'Leary Distressed Armchair
$134.99 | Dot & Bo
Desk Lamps: Wall Street 16 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Desk Lamp 32305ORB
$90.00 | Home Depot
Tiger Bronze and Cream Drum Triple Multi Light Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Beautyrest Recharge Reynaldo Extra Firm Queen-size Mattress Set
Overstock.com
Oakwood Outdoor Chaise
$469.99 | zulily