Does house smell of wood smoke with Tulikivi?

mountainhouse07December 3, 2007

We are building a home in the Colorado mountains and are considering buying a Tulikivi fireplace. The energy efficiency and heating ability look great. My only concern is how much of a wood burning smell permeates the house. I do not like the odor in a house with a traditional wood burning stove. Does the Tulikivi produce a similar odor?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelone

No house with a properly designed chimney should EVER smell of woodsmoke!

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 7:58PM
nhyankee

A Tulikivi and most other masonry heaters have closed combustion where you put in your wood in and it is fired at full air behind a sealed door until it is gone. Then a damper is closed to keep the heat in.

It sounds like you might be used to the really old traditional wood stoves which could backpuff or smolder which make the house smell smoky. Any new EPA compliant stove will not put any smoke in the house either unless you have a bad draft, plugged chimney, or negative pressure situation like in some basements.

If you're in Colorado also check out Biofire from Salt Lake City. They have some very nice masonry heater designs.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 11:30AM
chelone

It's important to note that many woodstoves can struggle and "back puff" because today's homes are so "tight" that adequate "draw" of fresh air is difficult. We experienced that with our stove initially. We cracked a window and the subsequent "draw" eliminated the backpuff immediately.

Interestingly, we experience "backpuffing" when the temperature is hovering around 32 degrees and there is low pressure front directly over us.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Power for Fan
So I have a very nice Martin sc36 gas fireplace that...
ACwannaBe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™