Quartz dining table

richardtbJune 11, 2013

I would like to get a dining table with a quartz countertop.

Our architect for our remodel suggested that we buy a sturdy base that is designed for stone counters. The contractor's stone fabricator would then build a wood sub base attached to the base we purchase that will receive the quartz counter top.

Has anyone done here done this? Any suggestions on which table to use as a sturdy base?

This post was edited by richardtb on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 20:59

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gooster

I did a custom stone topped table for my kitchen. It sits on a plywood subtop, using a 2cm slab. I had a table base customized by a metal craftsman, using very strong tubular steel. We followed the basic overhang and span directions from the MIA -- no spans greater than 24 inches and no overhangs greater than 8 to 10". I found great advice in the archives here and on the woodworker's forum. I chose metal because I needed a pedestal style base. Even then, I fretted over the necessary dimensions and posted a picture to validate it with some of the experts here (like a doctor's second opinion).

Quartz can be even heavier than natural stone, so you need to ensure that your wood sub-base is adequately supported. A 2 cm slab of natural stone can weigh like 13 to 15 pounds per square foot, and it won't tolerate a whole lot of sag without eventually cracking. Even a plywood subtop will be inadequate to span the full width of a dining table without some cross-supports underneath.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:32AM
richardtb

If you happen to live in Houston, Tx, I would like to know the name of the metal craftsman you used.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 12:34PM
Gooster

I actually used a firm on Etsy, which custom modified an existing design. Sorry for the delayed reply. Here's a photo:

This post was edited by gooster on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 11:35

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 11:33AM
richardtb

Very impressive!

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Debating between a drexel or henredon bed
What is better quality? The are both 4 post beds. Just...
shweebies
Design Within Reach - Globus Chairs Hair pulling problem... literally.
I have White on White Globus Chairs (Stua). Purchased...
janejanel
Coaster furniure quality?
I found a dining table and china cabinet online that...
cand1781
casco bay furniture from someone who didnt just join
Hi im looking for reviews on casco bay furniture from...
armstrongarland
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™