What are Potted Shrimps?

bbstxFebruary 13, 2012

I recently read about a literary blog that gave a book reviewer the award for "Best Hatchet Job" of the year. The prize was a year's supply of potted shrimps (sic). Is it like potted meat (YUK)?

I found a recipe for potted shrimp. It looked quite elegant. I can't resolve the recipe with the insult/joke of the prize. What am I missing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hatchet Job Award article

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

the prize is not an insult.....the review is an insult...potted shrimp is delicious.
This is a Brit doing the review....he received a tongue (not pickled) in cheek award for writing a scathing review of a book.
Potted shrimp is lovely...it's a British dish of chopped cooked and spiced shrimp packed into a crock with lots of butter and herbs and served on toast for cocktails.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 5:12PM
bbstx

So, they are not the crustacean equivalent of potted meat? Lindac, your description matches the recipe on the Fine Cooking website. Sounds divine! May have to give it a try sometime, maybe while watching Downton Abbey!
Thanks!

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 5:27PM
Islay_Corbel

To make potted shrimps, firstly get hold of those really small brown shrimps. De-head and peel. Get a load of salted butter and melt it. Grate in a good dose of nutmeg. Put the shrimps into small ramekins and poor the butter on top. Serve on hot toast. Love the stuff!

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 3:01AM
More Discussions
That Time Of Year Again :)
Hi everyone, It's been a long weekend (both good and...
moonwolf_gw
Happy Birthday Lars!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LARS! Wishing you a joyous year filled...
compumom
Fat Tuesday, and More
As it turned out, a guest didn't want to come to the...
dcarch7
Need Help Please.....
How does one now reach various listings such as "onions",...
Robert Givens
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™