How do I start the bankruptcy process?

michelle_phxazSeptember 28, 2010

Yes, unfortunately it has come to this. How do I go about it, and what types of bankruptcy are there?

We are about $90k in credit card debt and living paycheck to paycheck.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

In my opinion, step 1 is to go to the National Foundation for Credit Counseling website. It is the "real" organization, not one of the late night scammers. Click on the "Find A Counselor" option and make an appointment with someone in your area. It will either be free or just a nominal fee.

Their website also has a section on bankruptcy if you want to learn some of the basics. However, if you haven't seen a counselor yet, you really don't know if that is an option for you. If it is, they have counseling for that too. However, before you even think of filing, you'll need to set up an overall financial plan that will keep you out of these type of messes in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: NFCC

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 8:27AM
clg7067

I went to a free consultation with a bankrupcy attorney. He laid down the facts, and I never did it.

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 2:29PM
mariend

I found an excellent attorney in the state my relative lives in on line. I google the city (small) looked at persons picture, whick included a family picture, liked how he advertised, had good feeling, and relative and spouse went, we paid the down payment, and he did an excellent job. This was involving house, 2nd, credit cards and medical bills, which they excluded by choice from the bankrupcty. Took awhile but it worked.

Bookmark   November 22, 2010 at 4:47PM
marge727

Bankruptcy attorneys usually have a free consult. You may not be eligible, as the laws changed in 2005, and an attorney will be able to tell you if you qualify. One of the first things you have to do is to take a Pre-Bankruptcy financial counseling class before you file, and most Bk attorneys can suggest several that are acceptable. No sense taking one that isn't acceptable.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 3:44AM
More Discussions
What is the fair ratio?
The living expense is paid between the couple (Husband...
azmom
Evicting
Don't know where to post this specifically. The thing...
Curt D'Onofrio
Programmable Thermostat proof
Does anyone have hard copy proof of the savings that...
rjexit5
Ontario - Canadian law question
Hi: I am hoping I can find someone on the forum who...
mistopheles52
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™