What to put on chair/table legs to protect wood floor?

manzanitaMarch 10, 2007

We've just completed installing a bamboo floor. What should I put on table and chair feet to help protect the floor? When I had Oak flooring a few years back, it was recommended to use wool "felt" on the feet. Is that still the case or is there something better?

This is at the beach and we knew the risks of installing wood and sand but it still seemed like the best option for the house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 6:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezy_2

I did not see what the links above pulled up (probably what I am going to describe)but go to Lowes or Home Depot. They have several options. For chairs and other furniture with legs, they have various sizes of plastic disks with a special sleeve mounted to them to hammer into the bottom of the legs. The nature of the sleeve makes it so it WILL NOT split any wood, they remain securely fastened and are ideal for furniture that is moved often like chairs and I have used them on some pretty nice antique pieces with no problems (when you see the construction, you will understand better). These disks are covered with a dense wool felt. For other pieces (those that are not moved often), they have peel and stick pieces that can be cut to size and adhered to the bottom of furniture. In each case, the felt lasts forever. We have had some for 15 years that are still in good shape.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
I need help on how to get cat urine odor out of concrete?
We had a cat that was 24 years old and the last year...
lindadianne
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™