Best Software for doing one's Income Tax?

ShirleySeptember 19, 2003

Any suggestions, thoughts? I'd like something that is reasonably intuitive, easy to understand, etc. Oh yes, and something that doesn't cost a lot! ;o)

TIA

Shirley

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msladybyte

Hi Shirley,

My mother runs a very small tax preparing business and we are her computer support people...grrrrrrr

JMHO...DON'T USE TURBO TAX!

The calculations appear to be correct and it's cheap, but unless you have a relatively new printer you'll have problems printing your returns (which is the whole point, right?) Actually, this year for the first time, the whole tax return dumps into an Acrobat format, but there were still printing issues, i.e. hieroglyphics, garbage on every page, no lines printed on the return (none of which the IRS will accept).

In addition, if your pc should happen to crash (which hers did...argh) you'll have to buy another copy just to install it again on ANY hard drive, whether reformatted or brand new...you get one install per box and that's it, doesn't matter whether it's the same pc or not.

Their support offered no help on the printing issue and they wrote the software for the single install issue, so they don't empathize with your problems.

"We" all survived, but she's changing to a different software this year.

*catching her breathe and quietly slinking away* lol

Bookmark   September 22, 2003 at 6:47AM
Meghane

We've used Tax Cut for the last couple of years without problems (at least none that we or the IRS know of).

Bookmark   September 22, 2003 at 8:57PM
Shirley

MsLadyByte, I've heard of TurboTax, and thought it was one of the better packages...but your comments are certainly scarey, and it sounds as though you know your bytes from your bits, so I'll follow your suggestion and steer clear. Thanks!

Meghane, your experience with Tax Cut sounds promising, and I'll look into it, thank you.

Shirley

Bookmark   September 23, 2003 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Garrett Financial Network
Does anyone have experience with Garrett Financial...
sushipup1
Buying a car
I am planning to buy a car, but my credit rating is...
HerscheLL
Ontario - Canadian law question
Hi: I am hoping I can find someone on the forum who...
mistopheles52
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™