Fabric-covered headboard/need DIY tips!

carolbarrelJune 16, 2013

I'm inheriting a bed with an ugly & boring cheap wooden headboard. I'd like to cover it with thin foam (like a bed topper) and then cover that with fabric to make a soft/padded headboard with eye-catching design on fabric as a covering. Anyone ever do this successfully? TIA for any tips and also links to DIY articles/info on this topic!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
musicteacher

Cut thin foam the exact size of the backboard, then cut batting a little bit larger to wrap around. The batting will make it look more rounded. Glue the foam on then staple the batting around the back. It helps if you have two people to help stretch the fabric. Staple at twelve oclock, then six, then three then nine. Keep pulling and stretching as you staple the midpoints etc. Not a difficult project - have fun!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:03AM
cheryleb

I did a similar project but started with a sheet of plywood. I used spray adhesive to adhere the foam to the wood and then applied the batting. I had a compressor with staple gun and another person to help. I stapled the batting about an inch in on the back and then added the decorator fabric. I put nail head trim around it. It really helped to have my partner fold the corners from behind and I gauged it from the front to make sure one side wasn't pulled more tightly than the other.

I added a picture of mine. I moved last week and might make a new one with different fabric.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:34AM
freethinker99

If you want to get some style ideas have a look at Vanguard they have the most interesting program.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Leathercraft recliner, electric vs manual?
Any opinions, or recommendations? Thanks
greandog
need help with living room furniture placements
Hi, I have this living room 16.5 by 21.5 and the fireplace...
missbaggy
Split Mahogany Furniture
In 2003, I purchased solid mahogany furniture (made...
nszzya
Rove concepts
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has heard about Rove...
chitra0828
How do I Deep Clean a Filthy Leather Sofa?
I purchased a used leather sofa off Craigslist last...
trofywife
Sponsored Products
Bradford Swivel Tufted Bar Stool
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Stonegate Designs | Laser Cut Floor Lamp
YLighting
Charles Grande Sofa in Black
$1,099.00 | LexMod
Rolling Side Table in Coral
$229.99 | Dot & Bo
Bronte Al Fresco Outdoor Table Lamp by Robert Abbey
$484.00 | Lumens