Efficiency Direct Vent vs B-Vent

sorkaDecember 11, 2007

We're getting ready to install a pellet stove. It can be either installed with b-vent or direct vent. If b-vent, we'd let combustion air come in through the back and ulimately, from outside. Our house is about 10 years old but by no means anything near airtight. Even our whole house fan grill would provide enough combustion through put and along with all the imperfectly sealed doors and such, it would more than suffice.

However, it occurs to me that direct vent, on a sufficiently long enough run, will be much more efficient because the air coming in will scrub almost all the heat exiting outside and will result in a much less heat loss to the outside. Since I have to get cold air from outside either through imperfectly insulated parts of the house or through a single pipe that that encases a smaller hot exhuast pipe, it seems like a no brainer.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formula1

I would go direct vent for exactly the same reason.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 10:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
metal

You cannot vent a pellet stove with B-Vent, it has to be L-Vent (which is listed to UL 641). There are stoves that use direct vent L-Vent, but it is different than the B-Vent version (has stainless flue instead of aluminum). As far as running direct vent, manufacturers also sell wall thimbles that have a hole for the return air tube, so you just have to make one penetration.

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Fireplace Placement Please Help
We are trying to make a decision to center our fireplace...
shancap
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Regatta Collection Antique Bronze 1-Light Po
Home Depot
Reflection Giclee Glow 14" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Seaside Indoor/Outdoor Ceiling Fan by Kichler
$458.00 | Lumens
Nexus Suspension
Lightology
MILK | MILK Classic Table Desk
YLiving.com
George Kovacs | Hooked LED Flush Mount
$290.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for: