Efficiency Direct Vent vs B-Vent

sorkaDecember 11, 2007

We're getting ready to install a pellet stove. It can be either installed with b-vent or direct vent. If b-vent, we'd let combustion air come in through the back and ulimately, from outside. Our house is about 10 years old but by no means anything near airtight. Even our whole house fan grill would provide enough combustion through put and along with all the imperfectly sealed doors and such, it would more than suffice.

However, it occurs to me that direct vent, on a sufficiently long enough run, will be much more efficient because the air coming in will scrub almost all the heat exiting outside and will result in a much less heat loss to the outside. Since I have to get cold air from outside either through imperfectly insulated parts of the house or through a single pipe that that encases a smaller hot exhuast pipe, it seems like a no brainer.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formula1

I would go direct vent for exactly the same reason.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 10:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
metal

You cannot vent a pellet stove with B-Vent, it has to be L-Vent (which is listed to UL 641). There are stoves that use direct vent L-Vent, but it is different than the B-Vent version (has stainless flue instead of aluminum). As far as running direct vent, manufacturers also sell wall thimbles that have a hole for the return air tube, so you just have to make one penetration.

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™