Direction of flooring

kay____hMarch 27, 2014

I am in a conundrum. I have a D style log home, so all of the exterior walls of the house are finished knotty pine. Additionally, the ceilings are knotty pine. I love both. The floor, however, is a mish-mash of light oak, beige tile and beige carpet. It feels like being in a cardboard box. So we have selected a wonderful dark wood flooring this will contrast with the walls and we are going to run it throughout the house. (one story)

Now to the conundrum - The wood on the ceiling, throughout the house, runs north to south. So do the floor joists. By the rules, I should run the floor east and west, but I am afraid it will be like a checker box - cris-crossing like that. There are additional beams between the joists adding extra support to the flooring and the wood we have down now is running with the joists and it does not squeak, pop or otherwise appear defective.

We will be using 3/4" solid birch and understand that the warranty will be void if we lay with the joists. We are not terribly concerned about the warranty. We are concerned about the appearance. One other thing, the hallway in the house runs east and west so running it with the ceiling means short boards on the hallway - looks ok on the ceiling.

I guess I am just looking for a little reassurance. Or strong warnings!

Thanks,
Kay.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xc60

I know in our last couple of builds we wanted the floors to run the opposite way that they were installed, but due to the high cost of replacement and lack of warranty if anything went wrong we followed the suggested way. I thought the floors would look horrible and in the end they looked great and the board direction never made the big difference I thought it would.

All the best.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 10:05PM
kay____h

Thank you xc. I appreciate your input and hope for more. I know it is not something to stress over, but stress is just what I do.....

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 7:51PM
greenhaven

I think you would be quite okay running your flooring the opposite direction as you ceiling boards. You probably get more checkerboard effect now with your mish mash of materials then you will when it is all cohesive.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:40AM
kay____h

Thanks, I am beginning to think you are right. Honestly I don't notice things like that at other peoples home, I don't know why I would freak out about it in my own.

Kay.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:10PM
jennybc

I agree... You won't notice. Especially since it will be darker. Keep the warranty, and avoid any other issues (squeeks etc).

Jen

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™