What style is this piece?

betsyhacJune 13, 2009

Can anyone tell me what style this piece might be? I'm considering purchasing it secondhand. You can't tell from this picture, but the surface is a crackled finish. Supposedly, it was originally purchased for $1300.

Thank you,


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No idea what to call it....but I suspect it did not originally have a crackel finish. Is it carved or painted?
It's a console book case sort of thing
Linda C

    Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 7:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Its a French style console cabinet. (looks a little Italian, too, maybe). I can't tell, do the sides open, or just the center door.

I have seen a number of variations of these, some with stained wood or marble tops, and they have all been reproductions (or "in the style of")--so they have had distressed finishes or crackled finishes. It is obvious on the inside of those I have seen that they are not really old pieces, they aren't trying to fool anyone. What does the inside look like?

Is there any markings on it,including a stencil on the back? Its quite decorative, and they are meant to be used as accent pieces, so it doesnt need to "go with" anything specifically. I would look online and see if you can find what people are asking for them on eBay and such.

    Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 6:12PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
Ethan Allen furniture... comments on quality
We're looking at Ethan Allen furniture. I know it was...
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
Debating between a drexel or henredon bed
What is better quality? The are both 4 post beds. Just...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™