Bedroom furniture/Amish furniture

hdmgJune 16, 2009

We are in the process of beginning our search for some dressers/chest of drawers/door chests for our 2 daughters who are 8 and 10. They are not too hard on furniture and need some new ones with more space. We live in North Carolina (Charlotte area)and a couple of years ago went to Hickory for another furniture search and ran across an Amish store. We absolutely fell in love with the quality of that furniture. We bought a bench made out of 100 yr old reclaimed barn wood and absolutely love it. We do see that the furniture there is quite expensive but love the thought of solid wood furniture that is sturdy enough to withstand the test of time and use actually be taken by our daughters to their own homes when they are grown.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for quality wood furniture in the NC area (even Charlotte area would be nice, but could travel to Hickory/High Point)that would not break the bank? We looked at Ethan Allen and I found a door chest that seemed perfect and of course they are not cheap either. But I have also seen unfavorable reviews about them. Any comments?

Anyone ordered Amish furniture online?

Thanks for your help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
folkvictorian

Hi, hdmg! We live in Wisconsin where there is a huge Amish population. However, the "Amish" furniture stores in our area are very dodgy -- the furniture might be Amish-made, but it's just kit furniture that's put together by Amish and it's sold at the stores owned by non-Amish. Be sure to do some research before you buy to make sure what you're getting is truly designed and built by the Amish and not just cheaper stuff sold under their trusted name by the unscrupulous to make a buck.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
I want to make a sofa box cushion the right size.
I have two sofas, that I would like to re-upholster....
pisley
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Michael Thomas sectional
Recently rented a luxury ski home that featured a Michael...
Christina Stumpf
Taylor King sofas ??
We have found a couple Taylor King sofas that we really...
fleurdelis05
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™