furniture resale value

kadelsonJune 7, 2012

I am seriously downsizing and have to part with some lovely furniture. Fortunately, the soon-to-be-buyers of my large home want to buy some of it. Among the items are a Stickley Mission Oak dining table with three leaves and eight upholstered dining chairs, Stickley upholstered sofas and chairs, a Stickley custom silk area rug. There are many other high quality pieces including Brown-Jordan, South Cone, Stone Country Ironworks, and Old Biscayne. The furniture that I am selling is in almost perfect "like new" condition, all approx 7 years old and selected to fit in the house. How much of a hit should I expect to take? For example, the dining room set was $6600 new, not including sales tax. I am planning to ask $4700. The Stickley upholstered furniture was $18000 + new. I am asking $9750. The Old Biscayne Mercedes king-size bed (head and foot) with a matching leather bench was $5000. I would like to ask $3200. Am I delusional or am I on the right track?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stuart11

As per my point of view your are expecting little more. Reduce atleast $700 from your each thing.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 7:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Afraid you are delusional. Furniture is a lot like cars. A new Mercedes after 5,000 miles is just a used car.....albeit a used Mercedes!
If you can get half of what you paid for it you are very lucky....or have found a perfect buyer.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
crate barrel sofa quality
what can be said about the crate and barrel sofa quality...
kermit_xc
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
Lee Industries Sofa--worst ever furniture
I can use everyone's assistance in helping me solve...
sf_treat
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™