1099 & fica

michie1August 14, 2004

My father & I were having a discussion about whether a 1099 independent contractor is responsible for paying their own social security (FICA) tax on their annual income tax (1040). He says, "no" & I say that you do have to. If I'm correct, is the percentage the 7.65 like you'd pay as an employee or is it double that since you don't have an employee to match it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, you do pay it. It is called Self-employment tax and you pay all 15%. But you get to deduct half of it from your gross income. See schedule C.

    Bookmark   August 15, 2004 at 12:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Nancy is correct. I've owned a business & you do have to pay the entire 15%. The form for reporting it is Schedule SE. You deduct the 1/2 that you pay on Line 28 of your 1040.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schedule SE

    Bookmark   August 21, 2004 at 10:48AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Garrett Financial Network
Does anyone have experience with Garrett Financial...
Spending Breakdown
My wife and I have tracked our spending over the last...
What is the fair ratio?
The living expense is paid between the couple (Husband...
Don't know where to post this specifically. The thing...
Curt D'Onofrio
Family Banking Concept, anyone heard of it?
I did a search here and did not see any similiar thread....
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™