Isokern IBV with Chesney Alchemy Gas Logs

jobby999December 30, 2010

Does anyone have an Isokern IBV gas fireplace and has used a third party's firelog set? I am being told that I have to use the IsoFlames gas log set and grate which are packaged with the Isokern IBV fireplace. I really want to use Chesney's Alchemy Logs and one of the beautiful Chesney grates.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

I am not familiar with any of the particular brands you mentioned, but I can tell you from our own experience: The attorneys who represent these companies say, DON'T ENDORSE ANYTHING THAT YOU HAVE NOT ACTUALLY TESTED. The say that because they are risk-averse and do not want to expose the company to unnecessary liability.

But that does not mean that what you have in mind is a safety risk. In our case, we installed a Direct Vent system into our prefab fireplace made by a different manufacturer. And it has been okay, in fact, it's been terrific. So you have to use a bit of common sense. If the thing you want to install into your fireplace fits easily and does not affect the area around the firebox that is made of noncombustible material, and if the installer says it's okay after he or she has looked over the job, it will probably be okay. It helps to educate yourself a little bit on how these things work -- where the air that feeds the combustion comes from, where the fumes are exhausted, and the "clearance" around the firebox (the distance between the components that will get real hot and the components that are combustible). If you are satisfied with these specs, or you feel comfortable after discussing these things with an installer, you should be okay.

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
mt123
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™