Hot (?) latex mattress

jennJune 10, 2010

A few months ago, we replaced our old spring mattress with a new latex mattress. It is extremely comfortable, like lying on a giant marshmallow.

However, I think it may be making me hot during the night. It seems like I frequently wake up to turn over and have a harder time cooling off than I did with the previous mattress. As a result, I believe I am getting much less quality sleep than I did even on our old lumpy bumpy mattress.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a remedy for this. I already sleep with the fewest covers necessary, but is there anything I can add to keep me cool at night for a better night's sleep? I'm starting to dread summer (hot-flash weather!).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

A spring mattresses is always cooler than a foam mattresses. But the latex mattresses is cooler than anyother foam mattress, especially the memory foam types.
Also the softer mattress is always warmer compared to a firm mattress.
You may just have to turn up your air conditioning.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 11:03AM
jenn

Well, we don't run our a/c at night, so I'll need another solution.

I know there are latex mattress owners here ... how do others contend with this issue?

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:55PM
hf2046

What type of sheets are on the mattress? Covers? It could be that you might need to switch to a different kind of blanket/duvet/comforter/sheets in order to sleep cooler.

I've got a latex mattress and haven't really thought it ever slept hot.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 12:59PM
momfromthenorth

Memory foam retains heat. If your latex mattress has a top layer of memory foam or regular foam it will not be as cool as a plain latex mattress.

Also check to see if your mattress pad has any foam in it.

We've never felt hot on our latex mattress. We have a cotton quilted type mattress pad on it. And my DH (a walking furnace) tosses off every cover except the sheet on any bed that he sleeps on. (No matter if it's traditional coil, latex, or air mattress.) He has never complained about our latex mattress feeling warm or hot. But it is only latex. There is no memory or regular foam on it.

Look at the tag that came on the mattress that is attached at the head of the mattress. (The consumer label that is sewn in.) That has to tell you what type(s) of foam or "innards" your mattress contains. Memory-foam is visco-elastic polyurethane foam.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 12:17AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Also, you might want to consider returning it. Some companies have a 90 day trial period. Or call the company where you bought it to ask how come it is making you hot. If all else fails, I'm wondering if using one of those 'allergy' zip covers for the mattress with an organic wool mattress topper might cool things off for you. Wool is supposed to wick away moisture. I have no experience here, so just throwing out ideas until someone with experience comes along. [g]

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Is using natural latex foam for sofa seat cushions going overboard?
I know this must seem like an odd question, but 100%...
texasgal47
how to buy high end furniture online and save?
Is there a guide to buying highend furniture online? I...
LauraOliver
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
need help with living room furniture placements
Hi, I have this living room 16.5 by 21.5 and the fireplace...
missbaggy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™