Do Large Desks Come In Pieces?

doninphillyJune 26, 2009

I'm in the market for a large desk. I have ample space in my upstairs office, but getting it up there could be a problem. Viewing the Maitland-Smith site, I saw that many product descriptions state the number of cartons, so I guess that means the desk comes apart into a certain number of pieces and needs to be assembled in place. I was previously under the impression that high-end desks did not disassemble. Certainly, I can verify before I order any specific desk whether it comes in one piece or several, but it would help my browsing to know whether I can expect that a large desk from most higher-end manufacturers would not generally come in one humongous piece that few people would be able to maneuver into a home office. Does anyone know about this? Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Maitland-Smith Desk Example

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecollector

We make custom high-end desks on a regular basis and they all come apart. They are simply too heavy, and too cumbersome to make as a solid unit. Usually they are made in four pieces, the top, the two pedestals, and then modesty panels, etc.

Its not about the number of pieces, its how well its made and designed to go together.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 11:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

Large items like this is shipped KD or knock down, Maitland Smith has manufacturing in the Philippines, so this saves on shipping. The dealer is required to assemble, not intended for customer assembly. But you could check with your local dealer, if you have.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
Duane Collie - Question, Please!
Our H & M Kodiak sofa, love seat, chair & ottoman...
cindylouhoo
casco bay furniture from someone who didnt just join
Hi im looking for reviews on casco bay furniture from...
armstrongarland
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™