Fire almost got out of control

premio53December 7, 2010

I have a 2002 modular home and have never used my wood burning fireplace until this year. I have used it several times without any problems but unbeknownst to me my grandchildren had been putting plastic spoons and various other articles in the vent just above the fireplace. Well it finally ignited and I managed to put it out but it was pretty frightening.

Does anyone know if any damage could have been done to the house itself inside the vents? Is the area insulated enough that the heat would not reach outside the chimney area? I don't plan on using it again until it has been inspected but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
premio53

Just a follow up. I discovered the vent area is completely enclosed so most of the danger was smoke filling the house and even though fire was coming out of the vent (really scary) it probably would not have spread beyond that point. If anyone has small children around the house and you have any vents like that around your fireplace you might want to inspect them to make sure little hands haven't put things where they don't belong. Things like crayons, paper, plastic material etc. A wake up call.

    Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 12:50PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Hot wall
Hi , I've posted this here before but will try again...
salbwil
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™