Oil Marks on Wood Table

totallyconfusedJune 23, 2010

I know this is a stupid question and I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes...My sister was visiting recently and pushed a box across the top of my new coffee table, leaving several scratches. I had read recently that you could use the meat of a walnut to hide minor scratches, so rather than leaving well enough alone, I decided to try it. Now the table is showing darker "oil marks" everywhere I rubbed the walnut. Before I do any further damage, does anyone know if these marks can be removed? I have no idea what the finish on the table is, although it doesn't appear to be poly. It is the Tango table from Ethan Allen if anyone is familiar.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Totally Confused

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trendfun

You are making me lol. Depends on the wood color/material, you can find paints that cover/fill scratches. Now you have this oil marks on your table, I have no idea how to remove it. Maybe repaint the whole table? Some others might have better suggestion. Good luck

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 4:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
totallyconfused

I'm the first to admit it was a stupid thing to try, but I have also had similar problem when using the stain pens and wax sticks that are designed for furniture touch-up, so it's likely I would have ended up in this mess anyway.

Totally Confused

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Need suggestions to soften my recliner
I bought a recliner from China, construction is fine...
biax
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Michael Thomas sectional
Recently rented a luxury ski home that featured a Michael...
Christina Stumpf
Ethan Allen furniture... comments on quality
We're looking at Ethan Allen furniture. I know it was...
Mercymygft
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™