Plasticy finish of engineered wood floors

dizbugMarch 18, 2012

Hi everyone,

We were considering hand scraped engineered wood floors for our new home and were quite excited abiut this, until we saw some in person in an actual home yesterday. The surface had a VERY plasticy looking appearance making them look very cheap, and we hated it. So now we are reconsidering, and we have questions.

Does ALL engineered wood flooring have this plasticy appearance, or does it depend? For example, do distressed/hand scraped floors look different than smooth floors? Or does the appearance differ based on the manufacturer? We are willing to do solid hardwood floors if need be, but want to know our options. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

There is absolutely no difference in topical appearance between engineered and solid...as topically, they are exactly the same. Find another manufacturer. As a matter of fact, they are more engineered in the marketplace then solids.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 9:44PM
tinan

Definitely not. We have Shaw engineered wood (walnut) and it is gorgeous and indistinguishable from regular hardwood (and more expensive)

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 12:43AM
CWirick

The Kahrs engineered flooring I'm going to be putting in my new home looks like solid hardwood. No plasticky vibe whatsoever.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 2:55PM
babs711

Nope.'you need to go look and feel different brands, types and finishes to see what you like. As with anything, there are different levels of quality.

In our last home we had very pretty Bruce floors with a shiny finish. You couldn't tell them from solid at all. For this build, we're putting in beautiful UA floors that have a low sheen. They look very authentic.

Engineered floors are real wood floors. There's no reason for them to feel any differently.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 12:56AM
beintruth

There is a difference between manufacturers. I visited a friend in the flooring business last week as we are going to install engineered hardwood floors due to concrete base and he showed me some that looked like the plastic finish you described and the exceptionally nice ones. It has something to do with the processing in making the floor. If I didn't have concrete as a base I would definitely go hardwood all the way. Remember to be aware of toxicity levels of formaldehyde and the glue they use. I found one company that has the least toxic levels and they sell glue that is also nontoxic.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
Has anyone used Wicanders Vinyl Comfort flooring?
I'm really struggling to find the right floor for my...
lovelierthoughts
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
Carpet removal cost seems high, is it?
I got a quote for new carpet in a new-to-me house....
prettybluehouse
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
Travertine Flooring
Trying to find out more info on Travertine flooring....
dqubti
Sponsored Products
Brown Mosey Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Airo Floor Lamp
Lightology
Safavieh Handmade Mahal Ancestry Red/ Ivory Wool Runner (2'3 x 10')
Overstock.com
Darya Rugs Moroccan, Silver, 5'2" x 7'10" M1776-135
Darya Rugs
Home Decorators Area Rug: Perpetual Brown 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Pixel Forest Parker Light Blaster Bronze Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™