Looking for expert advice for adding insulation under a gas firep

MileHigh80228December 9, 2012

Hello,

Newbie to the forum here. I'm looking for some advice regarding insulation below a gas fireplace.

We recently remove a large brick hearth. As you can see there is no insulation under the fireplace . The cold air comes in unabated and we would like fix that.

The three areas under the fireplace that need attention are all made entirely of wood (2x on 3 sides and 3/4" plywood on the top).

My understanding is of course wood has a much lower combustible temperature than either fiberglass or rock wool insulation. Is there any reason that I can't simply insulate the three cavities with product (non-paper faced) from the local home improvement store?

The town home was built in 1985. I'm unable to find any brand info/model number/specs pertaining to the fireplace.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerncanuck

Spray foam where the rim joist meets the floor as well as anywhere you feel a draught from the exterior wall. Hold a lit long candle lighter and you will find where the air is coming in. Then fill the void with Roxul rock wool insulation. Your good to go.

I wouldn't be concerned with ignition of the lumber below, the unit looks to have a nice refractory lining, most units today so not.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™