Harman --coal gets stuck in shaker

bobyoeDecember 6, 2007

Does anyone have this problem? We have a Harman coal stove (Mark II). The former owner told us he burned "nut coal". The coal supplier verifies that this was what the former owner of this home always burned. We frequently run into problems with a piece of coal sticking in the shaker and the only solution is to let it all burn down and restart the fire. What a pain! Last season we had the stove taken out and serviced (new firebox, check the shaker mechanism and handle, etc) thinking that would fix the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Boby

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pellethead

Rock the grates with short choppy strokes back and forth, just enough to shake the ash through the grates. This won't allow the coal to drop and wedge between the grates.
It takes a little practice, but I'm sure you'll be much happier.

Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 6:27PM
bobyoe

We try to be very careful about how much we move the handle back and forth. How many degrees off center would you recommend? We think the problem may be in the wide variation in the size of our lumps of coal. Is this common?

Bookmark   December 7, 2007 at 9:08AM
john4no2

That's a common occurance with any coal stove that you have to rock the grates back and forth to shake the ash. If you can apply enough force the grates are strong enough to crush the coal that may have come lodged in between.

Besides the short strokes that was suggested above, you should also have a poker handy to dislodge any coal that may get stuck.

Bookmark   December 7, 2007 at 9:56AM
jimcloh_yahoo_com

Another tool to have on hand is a bar that you can use to lift the grates by levering them from the bottom, as you try to move the grates. As we all do get coal or clinkers stuck in the grates. Those short choppy strokes could be spoken of as rattling the handle so that the coal bed vibrates. If you watch the coal bed as you move the shaker handle, you will see the bed seem to move up and down. Slow and deliberate works, and it is not necessary to get every smidgen of ash out, I try to stop just before I could see red coals fall.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™