sound-proofing tile floor

hifixerMarch 11, 2012

I am thinking of having ceramic tile laid down over a concrete subfloor. Since I live in an apartment building, I was told that I have to have sound-proofing laid beneath the tile so that sound doesn't travel to the floor below. My question - what kind of material could be used for the sound-proofing? How much extra would it add to the cost of the installation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindyd

Perhaps you have solved your problem already - I had the same. Yes, it substantially increases the install cost. I just found out that Floor and Decor has a product by North American ( I think that's the name) You have to call and ask for the sales person in Tile accessories, otherwise no one will have an answer. I can't tell you how many times I was in the store and asked about sound proof for tile and only by accident did I finally get to someone who knew something. It is a peel and stick for stress crack and sound. About $200 for 200SF.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 12:39AM
Stonetech

Laticrete 18 "Sound Control" is an additive that can be put in with your morter and does what you want. You can try the Laticrete website....you know...www, etc. and look it up.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 4:40PM
glennsfc

Be careful here, as some apartment managements and condo and coop boards sometimes specify the exact product they want you to use or have a list of accepted ones.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Un-level kitchen and associated issues...
So my wife and I just finished a renovation of our...
hundredwaters
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™