New to all this

codywayne718December 10, 2009

started lookin into a fireplace insert an came across this website, seems like a lot of info and nice ppl here, i am jus wonderin if i should worry about the dimensions of a wood burning insert, most importantly the depth, would it be alright if the insert were an inch or 2 deeper than the fireplace??? thanks in advance from a very lost gut

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower

You'll find highly detailed answers to all questions about wood stoves and inserts at www.hearth.com.

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 5:16AM
blackhorse147

Do yourself a favor. Consider a free standing wood stove instead.

I recently spent $4000 on a Hampton HI300 wood insert. The amount of heat this thing produces isn't even enough to offset the cost of running the blower. As far as I am concerned, this was a total waste of $4000.

For anyone to suggest that these inserts are good for anything other than looks is a total lie. I will make sure I tell everyone I ever come into contact with the rest of my life that wood stove inserts are a waste of money so they don't get out right robbed like I did.

Bookmark   December 13, 2009 at 10:44AM
countryboymo

Inserts are way more efficient than an open fireplace. If you want efficiency go with a yukon wood furnace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood furnaces.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 9:41PM
christopherh

I had an insert and I loved it. It heated our house nicely. But if it's not heating, what is the surface temperature? At normal operation, it should be between 500 and 600 degrees. If it isn't, you need to figure out why. If it is, then it's doing what it's supposed to do.

We also had a blower on our Avalon insert, but we rarely used it, and then only during the coldest weather at a very low speed. Because when it was on, the room seemed colder as the blower was just heating the air instead of the objects in the room. It reminded me of the early heat pumps. You would set it at 72 degrees in winter, and the air coming from the registers was 72 degrees. And we were cold all the time.

We built our current home and didn't include a fireplace and went with a freestanding Regency stove and currently it's 5 degrees outside and the stove is keeping the house comfy.

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Sponsored Products
Arlee Home Fashions Luster Rod Pocket Panel Pair - 29-40909BUR
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Jade Wall Sconce by Modiss
$453.60 | Lumens
Safavieh Marge Dark Brown Side Table
Overstock.com
Prairie Table Lamp by Arroyo Craftsman
$914.00 | Lumens
Kona Chrome Two-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Dicro Swirl Glass
$405.00 | Bellacor