Is my fireplace made for ceramic logs? Help!

rob4mtheblockDecember 8, 2012

On the outside of my fireplace there is a pipe with a knob. Currently perpendicular as its off I can move parallel to pipe to turn as on.. The pipe goes into my fireplace I am not sure if this pipe is just to start a wood fire or if I can buy a care mic log set and use this gas pipe to stay on for the ceramic set.. This is my first time owning a fireplace so I'm lost..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerncanuck

I believe that photo is posted upside down.

However as far as that fireplace being a gas only from what I can see it is not. Not being able to see it clearly I would say no its not, what it appears to be is an ignition line for wood.

I am concerned with what appears to be a 90 degree elbow that is in very poor condition. Please, I beg you please have a local pro look at the unit first hand before you light the fireplace. I know money can be tight after a move but I want you get someone in there to check that gas line as well as flue before you do anything with that unit. I was told by a firefighter the #1 cause of fires in the fall and winter are fireplaces. Just last New Years my next door neighbour had a chimney fire from a dirty flue that caught fire, that's when I talked to the firefighter.

As well he will give you a definite answer as to what you have there.

I wish I could be of more help, but you need to service that unit.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 12:43AM
More Discussions
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
Where to find high heat masonry paint for inside of fireplace
I'm having trouble finding a fire resistant or fire...
janeway452
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™