Laminate flooring questions

olchikMarch 25, 2008

I am planning on putting a laminate floor throughout my kitchen and dining area.

I went to a builders showroom this weekend and looked at laminates. The ones I liked were made by Shaw. They carry a 20-25 year warranty against moisture and scratching, among others.

Is there anyone here who can tell me about Shaw laminates, especially their Versalock lines of Costa Rica and Natural Sensations II? I have not been able to find much info here on this brand.

Has anyone used the iFLOORS brand "Westhollow"?

Another questions, more technical. Would you put flooring under the cabinets/appliances (say, for ease of removal of the dishwasher, for example) or not (because it's a floating floor that would not be able to "float"?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lightlystarched

I can answer your second question: Our laminate does not go under the cabinets, but we did continue it into the space for the dishwasher.

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 4:29PM
olchik

Thanks, Lightly, that's an idea!
May I ask, what brand did you use and are you happy with it?

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 4:30PM
Shelly Pugh

I am using the Westhollow laminate in Washed Honey Brown Oak and I LOVE it! We just finished one room last night so I cannot tell you about its durability. I am hoping for the best! :-)
I ordered it from IFloor.com. Ordering was a breeze and the installation isn't bad at all once you learn the technique.
We are not doing the kitchen so sorry I can't help with the appliance question. If it were me I would definitely put it under the stove and refrigerator. Doubt I would remove my dishwasher for installation, though.
Good luck!

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 9:40AM
floorguy

uhhhh, are you sure you actually read the warranty, right???

That 25 years is not against moisture or scratching!!
Read it!! It says to the effect, you will not wear down the surface from normal foot traffic.

Are you sure it wasn't the sales person, telling you what you wanted to hear, so the could get the upgrade commission???

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 10:01PM
calyle7

Hi summerva
Looks like it's been a long time since you put down your Westhollow Laminate....I am looking at an Italian Stone Tile they have for my kitchen....right now they are running a special with free shipping but ends tonight.
I was wondering if you are still happy with it and how is it holding up?
Would appreciate your feedback...

Here is the tile I am considering....trying to decide between the one on left or right...my cabinets are Creamy Antique White and the granite is Bianco Romano.....
I am really hoping you still like your flooring....really got my heart set on one of these...

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 11:46PM
theyvonne1

I installed laminate flooring and all went well. Now I see a hump or dip in hallway in front of a closet door. What can I do to correct this problem>

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
What I Learned About Installing Engineered Floors
We just finished installing engineered flooring over...
francesca_sf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™