Can anyone tell me what this is?

ceciliastar1December 27, 2013

We just bought a house that was built in 1920. This fireplace insert came with the house but I can't tell what it is or how it works.

Can anyone explain what all the gadgets are on it, why is there a plug?

Also, would this vent through the chimney? I don't know if it does because in the master bedroom there is a hookup for a gas I'm guessing the chimney isn't real?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't want to sound like a smart Alec but it works by burning wood in it. Maybe I misunderstand your first question.

As far as the gadgets the handles on the doors open the doors. The round knobs on the doors open and close to control the amount of air entering the unit to control combustion, more air more flame, less air less flame which equates to the heat emitted, sort of a manual thermostat.

The bottom handle looks like it pulls out the ash tray to aid cleaning.

The strange handles and metal that goes across the top looks to be an add on that opens the top of the stove. Can't really tell from here.

I can't see a "plug".

Yes it must vent through a chimney, if you have a gas unit sharing the same stack don't ever light this unit unless you know for certain it has it's own independent chimney and that unit and chimney has been inspected by a qualified solid combustion technician to ensure it's usable.

Most likely the units doors are packed with asbestos, it's fine if not disturbed or crumbling.

You have a nice decoration leave it as a decoration.

Hope this helped.

    Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

LOL, I guess my first question did sound kind of dumb. I meant more along the line of what brand?

Thank you for the information!

    Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 8:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I got a chuckle out of this. That IS a fine old wood stove for sure.
I can see the plug and wonder if you could show us where it leads. I suspect it is some kind of fan shenanigan.
The wooden knobs and handle are goofy and should be changed to something else when you get around to it.

    Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 9:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sorry I see the plug, need to call my wife at work and ask her where the ketchup is. A fan is often placed at the front of the stove to move the hot air.

If you have read some questions here actually yours wasn't that dumb at all.

If the top opens like the bonnet on a car we call those " Quebec heaters". Probably now a generic term for a top loader like everything that is plastic that you store stuff in is Tupperware.

The original handles were probably white ceramic and replaced with those.

    Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 7:42PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™