what do you clean the interior side of the glass door?

Shannon01December 9, 2007

I have a KozyHeat and the door has soot on it. Manual says to use oven spray. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

First off keep in mind the "glass" door isn't glass, it's ceramic. So do NOT use WINDEX. I just use Fantastic. Wait until the door is cool enough to the touch and just spray on the Fantastic and use a paper towel to wipe it clean. Then just toss the dirty towel into the stove and relight it.
If the door has scorch marks on it you can use the oven cleaner or just go to the local hardware store and buy some woodstove glass cleaner. It takes the scorch marks off right away.

Bookmark   December 9, 2007 at 7:33AM
kf2xn

G'day, I spent big bucks on my Napoleon 1401 so I don't mind spending for what I consider the best ceramic window cleaner on the maket. I buy "Fireview" product id number #15825 comes in a 1 pint spray bottle similar in size and shape like your typical Lysol kitchen spray bottles. It is sold under the Spray Nine Corporation brand name and should be available in your local home supply or hardware stores, such as True Value, Home Depot, Valu Home Centers, etc. for about $6. Of course you let the unit cool somewhat. I place an old towel or rag under the door to collect drippings. Spray it on the creosote impregnated surface and wait about 10 or 15 minutes. It drips down and the rest can be wiped with a soft cloth. Stubborn baked on creosote may take a few more subsequent sprays or a few minutes longer of a wait. In any event, mine seems to self clean most of the time from a proper maintained temperature but does occasionally soot up and requires the cleaning. Try the stuff and I doubt if you will be unhappy. Try a search on Google and read up on it. Wow, this almost sounds like a paid advertisement which it most definitely is not. Just a happy consumer's feedback. Walt - kf2xn, Grand Island, NY

Bookmark   December 9, 2007 at 7:52AM
tinkabranc

I use the same cleaner I use on my ceramic cooktop range to clean the glass on my pellet stove. It cleans the glass up nice with no streaks.
There are a few brands out there. The one I use is called Ceramabrite. Can be found in HD & Lowes in the appliance section.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 4:34PM
nhyankee

Shannon depending on how much soot you have, an old standby is to wet a paper towel and dip it in the ashes and use that to scour the soot off. Then use a moist or dry paper towel to rinse or wipe off all the residue. You will be surprised how well that works and costs virtually nothing. As said above, only do this on a cool door.

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 2:42AM
davidandkasie

i spray mine down, when cool of course, with Greased Lightning. let it soak in for a couple minutes, then wipe it right off. been doing that once a week for the last 3 winters and not signs of any problems. my only real question is why does only my right hand door soot up!

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 5:52PM
biglumber

Shannon,

I second the ash method. I use vinegar and water with a little ash around the sooty edges.
OK sometimes windex.

Peace

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™