Help with Couch Decision

octoberdanaMay 3, 2009

We have a 6 year old red microfiber couch that needs to be replaced. It has a matching loveseat that is still in very good condition as it hardly gets used- it's mostly there for when we have company.

DH really wants a reclining sofa. He originally picked out one that looks like it should go in a media room (cupholders, remote holders, etc). I vetoed it. We only have ONE room that we can put a couch in and it is more than a TV room.

DH is only open to microfiber as he hates leather and he doesn't want cloth because we have a cat.

We went to the furniture stores this weekend and every couhc he falls in love with is reclining. I do not like the look of reclining sofas- they do not look like sofas to me. They look like chairs all fused together.

Anyway, we are trying to work out a compromise. We have three options:

Buy a new stationary couch/loveseat and incorporate a recliner into the living room (this would require major rearranging of the furniture)

Buy a new reclining loveseat & couch. My fear with this option is that the loveseat would be a huge waste of money- as we don't need it to recline and they cost significantly more than stationary ones.

Buy a new reclining couch and use the current loveseat. We would then have two different colors and styles going on in the room.

Since I'm very traditional and DH is very contemporary and cares about comfort we are trying to work a compromise.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karsha

Option 4 - Get a new husband.....Only kidding! (I couldn't resist)

Ultimately, I think you would be happiest with the stationary sofa and a recliner. However, another compromise would be to buy a sofa or sectional with a chaise at one end. Do you think he would be open to this?

Good luck.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 9:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbie08075

I am in agreement with Karsha-- purchase a new sofa that YOU adore and a separate recliner, side table and light for your husband. Discard the older love seat, it won't match anything. No reclining sofa-you will never like the looks of it.

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Michael Thomas sectional
Recently rented a luxury ski home that featured a Michael...
Christina Stumpf
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
Smith Brothers of Berne - experience with?
Apologies for the dual post - I'm sinking the other...
marys1000
crate barrel sofa quality
what can be said about the crate and barrel sofa quality...
kermit_xc
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™