401k rollover?

jasper_60103August 18, 2006

I changed jobs a couple years ago.

Now, I'm wondering should I rollover my 401K

from previous employer to current one?

I guess another option would be to open up

and IRA.

What do you think would be best? I don't plan on taking any early withdrawals.

thanks,

jasper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue36

You might find some answers here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roll Over IRAs

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 4:34PM
steve_o

I had three 401(k)s from previous employers and I rolled them all over to one IRA, for two reasons: first, even though the money should be separate from the company's money, I didn't want to hear anyone say "oops". They've mucked around enough with my pensions. Second, it's easier to keep track of the investments this way. In the old plans, the offerings were switching frequently ("Starting in October, the SafestHouses conservatively-managed Fund will be transferred to the Lookout Below "opportunity" Fund.") With my own IRA, I can determine where my money is and how to diversify it appropriately.

Bookmark   August 19, 2006 at 9:16AM
jasper_60103

Hey Sue, Steve.
Thanks for the info.
An IRA may be way to go.
I especially like having more investment choices
and being able to keep a close eye on things.

thanks again,
jasper

Bookmark   August 19, 2006 at 10:06PM
clg7067

Roll them over to an IRA where YOU cam make your own investment choices rather than the limited choices your company(ies) offer.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 12:38PM
azzalea

You do have to be very careful about who's in control of your retirement money. It's not impossible for it to be 'lost', especially if a company is in trouble financially--those funds are not as safe as many people would have you believe, unfortunately. Investigate all your options and choose the one that is safest, where you have the most control.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 8:44PM
kec01

If your old 401K has been performing well, and the company is sound and stable, I'd leave it alone. If you want the ease of all money under one roof, move it into your current 401k...assuming it's a stable company with good management results.

If you do not study investments alot, I would not bother with trying to manage it. Chances are pretty high in my opinion that you'll never get as good results as the pros who make their living managing money.

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 6:32AM
steve_o

If you do not study investments alot, I would not bother with trying to manage it. Chances are pretty high in my opinion that you'll never get as good results as the pros who make their living managing money.

True, but rolling it over into an IRA at a financial house of your choosing often gives you more options: for example, lifestyle-geared investment plans (more aggressive for younger clients, more conservative for when you don't have time to make up a bear market); index funds (more than just the Dow Jones or S&P 500); etc. There are lots of people who can offer easier investment strategies ("couch potato" portfolios, "one-minute" investing, ...) and while one size does not fit all investors, if you find an investment approach that has appeal to you, it very likely will be easier to pursue it at a large investment house than through an employee-sponsored plan.

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 10:04AM
jasper_60103

Steve, Sue:
just wondering did you use a financial planner for setting up your IRA?
I had spoke with one from a reputable firm, but he seems so insistent that I need him to manage my entire financial portfolio (for a fee of $700 for starters).
I didn't appreciate his hard sell and would never do business with him.
I guess he just rubbed me the wrong way.
Thanks again for the advice.
-jasper

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 2:28PM
steve_o

I did not. I went with a firm known for their integrity, their variety of mutual-fund offerings, and their low expense ratio, and I read various sources to develop a consensus about how best to invest my money. I wouldn't waste a minute of my time with anyone who was not content with however much business I would give him/her or who was paid through the funds, etc., that he/she was promoting. There are too many people out there offering financial advice to put up with anything or anyone you don't like. If you can, try to get some recommendations for "fee-only" financial planners; while you'll have to pay them up front, you can feel better that they're not unduly influenced by winning a trip to Hawaii for pushing a certain fund or investment vehicle.

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 10:03AM
jasper_60103

Yeah, I have a neighbor who works for an accounting firm downtown minneapolis. I'll try to talk to him.

Hey, enjoy the state fair.

thanks,
jasper

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 10:25AM
sue36

"Steve, Sue:
just wondering did you use a financial planner for setting up your IRA?"

Most of my money is with the company I gave you the link to. I have IRAs, 401k and a brokerage account with them. I use a regular bank for banking. I don't use a financial planner.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 5:19PM
jasper_60103

Thanks Sue.

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Accounting Question
I was hoping there'd be an accounting forum her on...
andrelaplume2
Is a lien only for money owed or.........
My Home Owners Association has rules of course and...
emma
Any advice for a lady whose husband hides $?
I am a widow and used to doing for myself. I have a...
topsiebeezelbub
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage
I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately...
gigigirl1
Sponsored Products
Stickbulb | 4 Foot Horizontal Wall Sconce
YLighting
Access Lighting 55502-CH-CLR Sol Chrome Flush Mount
Littman Bros Lighting
Fine Art Lamps Crystal Bakehouse 810950-12ST Two-Light Wall Sconce
LuxeDecor
Connetix Bar Pendant
Lightology
Duomo Oil-rubbed Bronze Medium Flush Mount with White Swirl Glass
$209.00 | Bellacor