How do I prep the Hori & vertical framing for stone?

elkskiNovember 14, 2007

OK I have done stone on cement walls and block walls using spec mix but Now I am putting stone around a Direct vent gas fireplace and flagstone as a hearth.

I am installing a natural gas direct bent unit model Ventana by Valor Fireplace.http://www.valorfireplaces.com/products/index.php?page=386

I have built a hearth base out of 2x6" and 3/4" plywood. I am using 2 1/4" thick red flagstone as a hearth. I will be cutting this and chip facing the front edge. I will make it in 2-3 chunks. Each about 100 #'s Do I just set it on about 1/2" of specmix right on the plywood and level?

Then around and above the fireplace and below the hearth I will be using a natural East Desert stone strip about 2" thick I was thinking of just screwing on some expanded metal lathe and then using specmix and wiring up pieces as I go and cutting off the wires later. I can do it over many days and thus will only have to go up a few stones at a time until they set. The first row of stones above the hearth will sit on it but under the hearth I was planning on leaving them raised 1/2" above the floor for the carpet to tuck under.

How do I prep the 3/4" plywood hearth base? anything?

The vertical surface is 1/2" plywood over framing which is almost solid on the front face but the fireplace comes with this 1/2" cement board around the perimeter and a very large chunk over the top. these areas are not well supported?? I have some rather long stones that will span the top and will rest on the side stones and should support my stones above the fireplace opening so I only need it to adhere to the cement board? Do I need to put tar paper on the wood prior to lathe?

any help and or links would be appreciated.

More Discussions
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Sponsored Products
Rotaliana | Luxy F1 Floor Lamp
$729.00 | YLighting
Evince Outdoor Patio Chaise in Espresso Mocha
$799.00 | LexMod
Campania International Bamboo Pagoda Garden Statue - OR-141 - NATURAL
$489.99 | Hayneedle
Penelope California King Bed - PLUM/GRAY
$5,699.00 | Horchow
Feza Gray and Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$322.00 | Bellacor