Smokey basement when a fire is burning in upstairs firplace
We just moved into a house built in 1950. Fireplace is in the living room. It has an ash dump door that we do not use. There is no fireplace in the basement. The chimney is clean. The two time we had a fire, the house became smokey, with a majority of smoke in the basement. One time, there was enough smoke that we had to open the windows and doors and put fan in the window. What could the issue be? Is it possible some hot ambers fell through the trap door and caused smoke in the ash pit? Please help!