Homebuyer walking away when house price down, net equity zero ..

joyfulguyAugust 10, 2007

... in most cases will be in for a surprise.

When the bank repossesses, then advertises the property for sale, if the value has gone down even farther, and they sell it for less than is owing ...

... they'll usually chase to buyer for the difference.

Suppose the mortgage was for $140,000. and they end up with $120,000. net on the sale, after the costs involved ...

... they'll be telling the former owner that s/he owes them $20,000.

ole joyful

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I know of someone who had a similar situation, but it was with a car.

It was repossessed out of their drive in the night. Months later they were hunted down to pay the difference between what was owed and what the finance company was able to get out of it. The person who had had it repossessed sure didn't think this was 'right' since they no longer even had the car...but then again a lot of what they 'thought' wasn't right. They asked a friend if they 'had' to pay it. Friends reply was that they should pay it, or end up being sued for it.

Sue

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 4:59PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I just love this Maxine funny and thought it appropriate of what some folks 'think' they know when making so many bad financial decisions.

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 5:11PM
cmarlin20

Many purchase mortgages are non recourse.
Here in CA all purchase mortgages for owner occupied homes are non recourse. There is no liability.

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 12:35AM
saphire

In other states it would depend on what the homeowner could negotiate or what the loan documents say. Negtiation is important as is knowing your state law. Also any other debt would be unsecured (unless the loan says otherwise and it served as additional collateral). So the bank would have to go after it through the courts, it would not be automatic. Since the homeowner is already underwater, it would be beating a dead horse

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 12:36AM
saphire

This originated with Cramer on CNBC, please note he is a graduate of Harvard Law School. More importantly, CNBC has in house attorneys which while I would assume are not happy with this advice, did nothing to retract it

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Here's a question for those who pay with cash
It happens occasionally, I'll be in a checkout line...
SnidelyWhiplash
Investing for your Future
I'm wondering if most people today hire financial planners...
cmarlin20
Just because you pay your bills on time.....
doesn't guarantee you have good credit The "Paying...
myfask
Programmable Thermostat proof
Does anyone have hard copy proof of the savings that...
rjexit5
refinancing a home
Just learned my interest is 5.25 on our home morgage....
victory_tea2085
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™