Thermometer for Wood Stove

rudysmallfryNovember 29, 2005

I just got a Hearthstone Heritage wood stove. The manual says to place the thermometer on the top center piece of soapstone. However, during the breakin fire, it was obvious that the flue heated up sooner (and seemingly hotter) than the soapstone. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the thermometer on the piece that gets hottest? Where do those of you with soapstone have your thermometers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TJG911

once the stove is warm/hot the surface will be accurate but initially the stove pipe being sheet metal will get hot faster. i put 1 on the top of my stove and another 2' up the stove pipe. i have a vc defient encore that i heat a 1500 sq ft house.

just curious, i had a hearthstone stove in 1992, it was beautiful. problem was that it did not have proper air controls to regulate the stove. the max burn was about 6-7 hours. had to get rid of it, it was a stove that was exempt from emission controls. i thought all hearthstone stoves were suspect from that experience. do you like yours? how many seasons have you used it?

tom

Bookmark   November 30, 2005 at 1:17PM
rudysmallfry

I just got mine, and so far have only done the break in fire. I'll be doing the first good fire over the weekend. I can already tell that the stove drafts very well from the very tall flames in the break in fire. I have yet to play with the damper to see how slow a burn I can achieve.

Bookmark   December 1, 2005 at 5:42PM
garypal

I also had the same problem with the Soapstone stoves..I had a max burn time of 6 hours.. Never had a fire last through the night..Had it 3 years before I sold it and bought a Jotul which is a a hardworking stove that last through the night and puts off amazing heat, which I could not get from the Soapstone..

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
Hot wall
Hi , I've posted this here before but will try again...
salbwil
Harmon pellet stove.
What is your experience? I purchased a Harmon P-38...
mulesrider
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™