raising credit score?

addictedtorosesJuly 16, 2013

I have a problem that nobody seems able to help me with. My credit score is between 625-665, which isn't too bad but it could be better. I pay my bills but iI do have a few old medical bills that went to collections. My debt to credit ratio is good, my credit history is short. Everyone that has looked at my credit says that it's too good for the score to be so low. One guy said he would make some phone calls to try to fix it but then he never got back to me. He said he didn't understand why the score was so low but sometimesthere was a glitch in the system. He said that he had seen 725 scores that weren't as good as mine so i don't know why the score isn't better. I don'thave trouble financing anything but I could get better rates if my score were better. Does anyone here know who i would need to call to get this mess straightened out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Are you planning to make a large purchase such as a car or house soon?

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 1:00AM
LuAnn_in_PA

Every time we get a credit report, it says on the report what we are doing well in and what can be improved.
Yours should say that too.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 7:31AM
addictedtoroses

Yes it does. It just says my credit history is short. But loan officers, when we buy cars mostly - my husband can't seem to stay with the same car more than a year- tell us that the score should be better with the history shown. There are people with short credit histories and more bad things on their reports, with higher scores. I just want to know who to call to fix the number, not to know what I'm doing wrong.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 4:57PM
LuAnn_in_PA

You 'fix the number' by being patient and getting a longer credit history.
No phone call will change your score.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 5:30PM
kirkhall

And, you fix your score by knowing what you are "doing wrong" and changing your habits.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 1:05AM
feedingfrenzy

If you can't find any errors in your credit reports -- and you should carefully read all three from Experian, Transunion and Equifax -- then you have no basis to dispute the scores. If there are errors, then you need to contact each credit company separately. The link below to the FTC website tells you haw to do that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Disputing Errors on Credit Reports

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 11:23AM
kudzu9

Last of all, anyone who says he can improve your credit score for a fee is generally a scam artist...run the other way.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 2:49PM
evaf555

"But loan officers, when we buy cars mostly - my husband can't seem to stay with the same car more than a year- tell us that the score should be better with the history shown."

Are you taking out too many loans? Even if you are paying on time, might this be a problem?

You can sign up for Credit Karma (not associated, yada,yada). One of the features is that you can plug in possible scenarios and see how it will affect (effect? never know which) your credit score.

Some people don't like it, some do. It is free.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 8:51PM
addictedtoroses

Evaf , thank you! I will check out credit karma. The only negative things on each of our credit reports are a few medical bills. Yes we do use loans ( like I said my husband likes to change cars every year... oh, and i have a new student loan, graduated nursing school last year!) And we are looking to refinance our home, so that will be a new loan. The guy at lending tree calledafter we were apapproved and said he was puzzled by the low scores, because they have people with scores of 725 or better that have don't have credit histories as good as ours. He said that they have a department that specializes in fixing credit scores, and they are going to look at ours because they shouldn't be this low. We will see if he calls back, because the last one didn't. That's why I asked the question here. Evaf, i thank you. Yours was a very helpful response.

Kirkhall, I'm not sure if I'm being overly sensitive, but I did not find your response helpful at all.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 7:20PM
addictedtoroses

Evaf , thank you! I will check out credit karma. The only negative things on each of our credit reports are a few medical bills. Yes we do use loans ( like I said my husband likes to change cars every year... oh, and i have a new student loan, graduated nursing school last year!) And we are looking to refinance our home, so that will be a new loan. The guy at lending tree calledafter we were apapproved and said he was puzzled by the low scores, because they have people with scores of 725 or better that have don't have credit histories as good as ours. He said that they have a department that specializes in fixing credit scores, and they are going to look at ours because they shouldn't be this low. We will see if he calls back, because the last one didn't. That's why I asked the question here. Evaf, i thank you. Yours was a very helpful response.

Kirkhall, I'm not sure if I'm being overly sensitive, but I did not find your response helpful at all.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Here's a question for those who pay with cash
It happens occasionally, I'll be in a checkout line...
SnidelyWhiplash
Buying a new house financial questions?
This seems silly, but I don't have anyone else to talk...
Butternut
Refinance with Bank of America taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R
We started the process for our refinance April 25th...
wickedgrace
Garrett Financial Network
Does anyone have experience with Garrett Financial...
sushipup1
Experience as a 1-car couple?
We moved into a new home (my first real house with...
ayimera
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™