alleged late-filing and penalty

rocioJuly 11, 2006

I am wondering if anybody else have had the similar problem with IRS.

I received a notice saying that I owe a penalty due to late filing although I filed my tax on April 13.

When I received the first notice on June 1, I called IRS and was told that it was resolved. Then, I received another notice yesterday. Apparently, the first call I made did not do any good. I called IRS again yesterday. This time I faxed a copy of the certified mail receipt. I hope this matter will be resolved soon. I am still waiting for the rep to call me back.

IRS does not have the proof that I filed later than April 17. How can they say that I filed late?

Rocio

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltglo

The DH is a CPA and you'd be suprised how often mistakes are made. IRS is just made up of people, who make mistakes. I would wait and see how it's resolved and be sure you get everything in writing. Don't count on a phone conversation. If you can't get it resolved, a tax accountant can often get it done. Good luck.

Gloria

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 3:07AM
jlhug

If you want to continue to deal with this yourself, you can use the IRS taxpayer advocate's office.

They can be very helpful and clear a lot of red tape.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: IRS taxpayer adovcate program

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 12:09PM
rocio

Gloria,
Thank you for your advice. I mailed a letter with a copy of my certified mail receipt yesterday. Hope they will get my message.

jlhug,
Thank you for the link. I will look into it!

Rocio

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 5:36PM
alphacat

If you have a certified mail receipt, don't worry about it too much -- it's likely that they will fix it eventually.

Once upon a time I filed my taxes from California because that's where I was on tax day (I live in New Jersey). So they arrived a little late, even though the postmark was OK.

Several months later I got a computer-generated letter saying that I owed them $600 for filing late. I sent them back a letter saying that I had not filed late, that I had a witness who could testify that I had not filed late (the friend who mailed the return for me), and that if they wanted to claim otherwise, I would appreciate it if they could send me a copy of the envelope with the late postmark on it.

Two months later, I got another computer-generated form letter saying that I now owed them $600 plus interest because I hadn't paid the first time.

I sent them back a letter with a copy of their original letter and my reply, and saying that I would not respond to their second letter until they had responded to my first letter!

Two more months went by, and then I got a computer- generated letter saying that I owed them $0.00. I never did communicate directly with a human being...

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 11:55AM
hilltop_gw

We had the exact same situation. A copy of the certified mail receipt cleared things up, but it takes time.

Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Spending Breakdown
My wife and I have tracked our spending over the last...
rjexit5
Accounting Question
I was hoping there'd be an accounting forum her on...
andrelaplume2
Any advice for a lady whose husband hides $?
I am a widow and used to doing for myself. I have a...
topsiebeezelbub
Do I need to give a 1099-misc to the lady who cleans for me?
For the first time ever, I began having a lady clean...
sogofan
Refinance with Bank of America taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R
We started the process for our refinance April 25th...
wickedgrace
Sponsored Products
Exaco Modena Urn - FM-0071-324 MODENA URN RUST
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Anatolia Gold and Blue Rectangle: 5 Ft. In. x 8 Ft. In. Area Rug
$270.95 | Bellacor
Anatolia Grey and Red Round: 6 Ft. Rug
$484.95 | Bellacor
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Sage / Ivory 2 ft. x 3
$53.97 | Home Depot
Kathy Ireland Office by Bush Furniture Volcano Dusk 51-inch File Drawer Desk
Overstock.com