Gas fireplace not providing flame?

hoosierdocNovember 20, 2008

Quickly... we have a dual fireplace unit that's a direct vent. At full blast, it creates barely noticable flames, and casts no light into either room. The rep was there today and said it was performing at factory specs regarding something about water columns.

We paid a lot of $$ to engineer the house around this dual fireplace, and I'm already upset that I can't open a door on the unit to get heat out. Since it can't provide much heat, I then at least wanted the visual effect of a fire, which I can't get either.

I'm rather irritated and would like some opinions on the matter. We have a single direct-vent unit in our mbr that works great. The flames easily clear the logs. The lower unit, the flames barely reach the logs.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SeattlePioneer

Water column is referring to the gas pressure supplied to the fireplace. Presumably that was checked and found to be within the acceptable range.

You might look for the BTU input on both fireplaces, which should be listed on the rating plate of the fireplace, commonly found below the fireplace inside a grill.

The BTU input is the heating value of the gas burned per hour. If one fireplace has a BTU input of 20,000 and the other 40,000, the second should produce about twice the heat as the first.

Also, the BTU input is often adjustable within certain limits by turnin a knob. If so, there will be a range of BTU input given --- such as 15,000-20,000 BTU. If that's the case, you want to find the right knob and adjust that to whatever level you find acceptable.

That should be discussed in your owner's manual.

Bookmark   November 21, 2008 at 2:06AM
More Discussions
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
mt123
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
aswansonid
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Catalina 63.5 in. Black Outdoor Floor Lamp with
Home Depot
Baltimore Orioles Food Storage Container Set
$13.99 | zulily
Magic Clean Bidet with Dryer (Elongated)
Overstock.com
Sonneman | Corona 32-Inch LED Pendant Light
YLighting
Casablanca Ceiling Fans Panama DC 54 in. Brushed Cocoa Ceiling Fan 59512
Home Depot
Tiffany Style Stained Glass Victorian Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Somerton Dwelling Milan 7-piece Dining Set
Overstock.com
AICO Furniture - After Eight 7 Piece Queen Upholstered Bedroom Set...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™