Fireplace Rug

nosambosNovember 24, 2007

We upgraded to a larger insert last year. The previous stove blew heated air out the top front. The present stove blows air out the sides. I constructed a surround which directs the air upward and am quite pleased with the heat output. Problem is this higher efficiency stove puts out so much convected heat that the wood floor is very, very warm to the touch about 2 feet from the front. Is this a hazard? Would a hearthside rug help or would that be more combustible? I was looking online for rugs and it seems the two options are wool or olefin. Ideas please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nhyankee

They might help but long term that's not the best option. I am in a similar boat and have a hearth extender for now. This is an insulated piece of stove board which extends 18" beyond my fireplace opening and is 48" wide. In a week or so I am going to rip up about 24 inches of hardwood floor put in ceramic tile with some micore insulation under the underlayment board.

If you do go with a rug I would recommend a fiberglass one. These are the least combustible and more insulating. I have included a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiberglass hearth rugs

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
rosie
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™