I found the cutest little woodburner!

pinch_meNovember 11, 2009

What do you people who know these things think of this one? Need to have a back up to heat a room if/when the power goes out in the winter. Vermont Castings Aspen Wood Stove. If I read it right, it would provide heat, a bit of light and I could heat up a can of soup on it?? The price didn't scare me although I have no idea what a little stove will cost. And then I'll still need a hearth and duct to the outside. What else? Some kind of backer board behind it? How much will I end up spending, start to finish?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont Castings Aspen Wood Stove

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

Who is going to install it? I surely hope it's going to be done by a professional. There are clearance guidelines that must be met, so placing it directly against a wall may not be possible.

You will need more than a "duct" to the outside, you will need a chimney. And if you live in a cold climate, you will need a chimney that will warm up fast, so a double wall system may be needed.

But carefully look into Vermont Castings. They USED to be among the absolute best stoves out there. But the company has been sold so many times lately, the quality has gone into the toilet. Even stove shops here in Vermont aren't selling them until they can be sure they won't have to go out on a regular basis for service.

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 8:17AM
pinch_me

I have installers here. But the thumbs down for the brand took the wind out of my sails.

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 8:43AM
mainegrower

Christopherh's warning about current Vermont Castings products should be heeded. The Jotul 602 stove is very similar in appearance (so similar I wonder if the VC Aspen is a direct copy)and would be a much better choice in the same price range.

As christopherh also wrote, you're going to need to connect to a Class A chimney, either masonry or triple wall (usually) stainless steel. If one of these does not already exist, the installation cost for one would be many times the stove price - triple wall runs about $30 per foot, I believe. You will also have to meet the relevant local/state code standards for a hearth and clearance from all combustable surfaces.

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 6:46AM
More Discussions
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™