what kind of wood floors are easiest to maintain and least likely

vaf262March 2, 2009

I would like to put wood floors in my kitchen, living and dining room but want something easy to care for and that won't show dust and dirt easily. any recomemdations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flooring_advice

The new trend in hardwood has been very dark floors and indeed they show everything. They need to be dust mopped almost daily to keep them looking good. If the sole consideration is ease of care and an appearance that hides dust and dirt then I would recommend a de-lustered finish on a species with a lot of variation; such as, American cherry. You should consider a hand scrapped finish as well. Hand scraped finishes are very easy to care for and have been the favorite of the decorators recently, but the best part is how forgiving they are to live with. Good Luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Western Flooring

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 4:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccoombs1

I used quartersawn white oak with no stain, only waterlox finish. It's perfect! It is scratching (I knew it would....I have 3 house dogs) but the scratches are very difficult to see. Sand and dust are also difficult to see. I damp mop it once a week and it looks great in between.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™