? on frequency of chimney cleaning

abbey_cnyNovember 3, 2011

I have one chimney with 3 flues. One flue is for the furnace and water heater, one flue is for a wood burning fireplace which is never used, and one is for a gas fireplace insert (in a formerly wood burning fireplace) which is used daily from October through Spring (usually April). All three flues have chimney caps. I am just curious how often I should have these flues cleaned?

If I was burning wood I would have the flue cleaned every year, but since the only flues being used are gas appliances/fireplace I am not sure what the cleaning requirements should be.

Thanks!

Abbey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berlin

If you're not burning wood, the flues don't have to be cleaned, even then, unless you're burning a few face cord, you don't necessarily need to clean your fireplace flue every year; every two years if you only burn a wood fire occasionally is erring on the side of safety. If you have a screen on the gas flue, every few years you should pull the smoke pipe and check with a mirror to make sure no there's no obstruction, but other than that you're fine; even that is far more than 95% of the population does.

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 1:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abbey_cny

Thank you Berlin for the reply. I sort of thought that would be the answer, but I am somewhat paranoid about house issues, so wanted to inquire about it.

Abbey

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™