Is there a way to get hairline scratches out of wood furniture?

estreyaMay 21, 2008

Hello everyone! I've got some hairline scratches on the surfaces of a few pieces of "fine" wood furniture that i'd like to somehow "buff" out. The scratches seem to be more on the finish than into the wood itself. I simply don't have the budget to have these things professionally refinished, so i'm hoping there might be a product or method to get the scratches out myself.

Will "Restore A Finish" work?

I may try lemon oil, but somehow, i think this is more than lemon oil can influence.

Advise?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Lemon oil, which is simply mineral oil with a splash of color and fragrance, and Restor-a-finish will at best provide temporary relief.

Buffing them out with an abrasive compound might work, if they are not too deep. But this will likely change the sheen, if you don't mind. You could also start out with a P400 or finer sandpaper and work your way through finer grits.

Unless you go really crazy, you are not likely to ruin it, but you may get yourself in a place that you can't get yourself out of.

Here is a link that might be useful: rubbing out finishes

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 9:34PM
skw1009

Try old english furniture oil in dark.....I use it all of the time to cover scratches in furniture....You will be amazed at how the scratches will disappear with a dab of the dark oil.....

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 9:46PM
estreya

Thank you for your responses, guys! Bobsmyuncle, that link is fantastic. It's a bit nervous making for sure, the very notion of taking anything that even remotely resembles sand paper to the wood. But i suppose that's what a "professional" would do.

I'll have to ruminate. May try that old english first ... ;)

Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 10:57AM
skw1009

estreya.....i just looked at my bottle of old english and on the front label it states that it is scratch cover for dark wood......anyway...hope it works...

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 1:13PM
bobismyuncle

another link by the same author.

I have "revived" a few dining tables that were showing age by simply a thorough cleaning(as described in the link), a light scuff sanding, and a couple of coats of brushing lacquer (Deft or Watco). If the existing finish is lacquer (most factory finishes are), it bonds fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving the finish

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 9:42PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Old English Scratch Cover works quite well on some tables I have tried to touch up. It is the dark coffee furniture oil. (They also make a yellow lemon oil. ) Sometimes the wood will not absorb the coloring, and other times it will. The hardware store also sells "markers" to touch up scratches. Buy the trio kit and plan to touch it up a few times to get the tone you want.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Where can I find this style bed for less?
We're looking for a new bed and the only bed styles...
pugluv1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™