What is that futon smell?

thetoeMay 5, 2009

Every futon I have ever been near has presented what I find to be an offensive smell. I have a much more sensitive nose than most people, so perhaps most people don't notice it. But as far as I can tell, all futons have a very strong smell which I cannot identify (not just new ones either... a futon can be brand new or ten years old, and it will have the same strong smell).

Can anyone tell me what it is about futons that gives them that smell? I assume it is a treatment, perhaps for fire retardation? Or maybe it is the materials.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecollector

Outgassing of the inner core materials. Most fire retardant is done with Boric Acid, which is largely odorless.

There are ways to get custom futons that do not smell, but they will not be inexpensive.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 4:46PM
thetoe

I was inclined to think it was something offgassing, but... offgassing is supposed to decrease over time. I have a %+ year-old futon which smells every bit as terrible as it did the day I got it. Just like every other futon I have been near , regardless of their age.

In any event, if it is simply a continuous outgassing of core material, then... what is the core material?

Thanks!

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 5:08PM
western_pa_luann

just another reason to NEVER get a futon!

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
Coaster furniure quality?
I found a dining table and china cabinet online that...
cand1781
Barcalounger v Lane v Best or other recliner advice
Hi--I think I've done my homework,and I've read other...
sailormass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™