gas fireplace code questions

weaseNovember 21, 2007

I have a Heat-n-glo gas fireplace I'm installing in a remodel. It vents straight up through the ceiling and then through the roof. There's about 1 foot from the ceiling to where it passes through the roof...this is the attic space. I boxed out with 2x6 around the flue and installed a metal firestop on the top portion (10" x 10"). So, from the inside looking up, you can see the 2x6 box and firestop. The drywall goes up to the box I made. Above the firestop is blown insulation, but none of it is touching the flue...that I know about.

So, is this all acceptable code wise? Do they usually drywall up to the flue on the inside? Seems like a lot of heat could escape up and through that area since there is no insulation. Does the drywall need to be taped and mudded at the seams?

I live in Minnesota.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wease

bump

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 7:39AM
jca1

the firestop is usually two sided or designed to drop down into the room. You could also maintain the required distance around the pipe with sheetrock and finish it with a collar. Yes sheetrock is fire resistant but the paper on it is not.

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 6:31PM
wease

It's in the teens out right now. Looking at the firestop from below I can see a whole bunch of condensation taking place. I haven't caulked around the firestop yet. But this is the only barrier there is between the inside and the attic space. Seems like a terrible waste of heat.

Wondering if I'm missing something. Should I drywall up to the flue as well and then caulk that?

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 7:59AM
wease

Anyone know where I can get some answers for this?

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™